Monday, January 5, 2009
Paranormal TV: Supernatural
Today begins my year-long series of paranormal reviews. At least once a month, I'll talk about a paranormal/sci fi TV series or movie. Also each month, I'll do at least one paranormal book review. First up is my favorite TV show, Supernatural. It's actually kind of ironic that this is my favorite show since I'm a total chicken in real life. I hate things that go bump (or creak or whatever) in the night. And yet, that's exactly what the Winchester brothers, Dean and Sam, deal with each week. They are hunters of things that most people think are myth and legend and horror stories -- vampires, werewolves, women in white, witches, demons, you name it.
Like many good programs, Supernatural is split into two parts -- monster-of-the-week episodes and ones that feed into the overall mythology that connects Sam to demons (even though he's a good guy) and Dean to angels (even though he's the bad boy, though one of the good guys). We're not quite sure where this is going, and it keeps viewers on the edge of seats. The stakes get bigger with each season. I mean, seriously, Dean went to hell at the end of last season, and he's been dealing with the ramifications of that this season after being pulled out by an angel (of the warrior type) named Castiel, who I think has been a very interesting character addition.
So what makes a chicken like me love this show?
1. The brothers' relationship. It's loving, it's combative, it's strained, it's teasing, it's all the things a real brotherly relationship is like but with the added pressure of trying to save the world from demons and such. These two guys are constantly on the road fighting evil. They can't have real jobs, homes, or romantic relationships. All they have is each other. Oh, and...
2. Bobby. He's a crusty older hunter who was friends with the boys' dad, John. He's a flannel-wearing, ballcap-wearing, bearded guy who has a junkyard, a house full of hunter/paranormal resources, and lots of "don't be stupid" wisdom. I just love Bobby. If they ever kill him off, I'll just cry.
3. The big story arc. I want to know what's going to happen in this war between demons and angels, what's going to happen to my boy Sam (yes, I'm a Sammy girl in a world where most people are Dean girls), and whether the boys ever banish enough evil to have a normal life.
4. Quotes. OMG, this show is full of fantastic quotes, typically between Dean and Sam. While I love Sam, Dean is hysterical and has the best quotes. A sampling:
"I'm not going to die in a hospital where the nurses aren't even hot."
"It's like we got a contract on us. You think it's 'cause we're so awesome. I think it's 'cause we're so awesome."
Dean Winchester: [Sam points to a word carved into a telephone pole] Croatoan? Sam Winchester: Yeah. [Dean stares blankly.] Sam Winchester: Roanoke... lost colony... ring a bell? Dean, did you pay any attention in history class? Dean Winchester: Yeah. Shot heard 'round the world, how bills become laws... Sam Winchester: That's not school; that's schoolhouse rock!
These are really funny when you know the characters, but I'm hoping they translate as funny to those who have not seen the show. Gasp!
5. The boys are hot. So shoot me -- both Dean and Sam are not hard to look at.
So, any Supernatural fans out there? What are your favorite parts of the show? Which brother do you prefer?