Friday, August 8, 2008

Time for Reflection

This will be a short post because it’s Friday!!

Looks like we’re nearing the end of summer. That means no more children at home and getting back to work. To me, it seems like there are usually two times during the year when people start making goals and re-analyzing their schedules: New Year’s and at in early to mid-August when the school year starts back up again.

This time of the year is perfect for goal’s setting (in my opinion) because it falls right after the end of RWA Nationals. Those that attended usually return with renewed motivation, excitement, and a better understanding of where they are at in their writing career, where they want to go, and what they have to do to obtain that goal. What better time for reflection than now, especially since (for the majority of us) there will be more time opening up in our daily schedule?

Some things are sure to have changed since the beginning of the year. Regardless whether you attended Nationals or not – and regardless if it doesn’t look like there’ll be any extra hours opening up for you in the near future – take a moment to reflect, recharge, and redirect your efforts if need be. Don’t waste your time working aimlessly toward something you’re not certain of. Find out if your goals have changed since the beginning of the year, regroup, and replan.

Happy goal setting!

8 comments:

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Every New Year my sister and I write out very specific things we would like to accomplish in the coming year--I'm thrilled that I have done more than half! :)

Mai Christy Thao said...

That's awesome, Anitra! I write out goals every New Year as well. It really helps with tracking how I'm doing as the year progresses.

Savanna Kougar said...

Good topic and good timing, Mai. Very inspiring. I do take a look, even though I don't write out anything specifically.That tactic has never worked for me personally.
However, with 'Angel' coming out, I'm redirecting my promo efforts obviously.
And, I've redirected my writing career in a way I can't share right now, because I promised to keep quiet about the project. I'm closing in on 15,000 words of the story.

Terry Odell said...

If you've done a good job with your goals, and made them measurable, you should be able to see if you're on target. I know people (not me, alas!) who have 'goal buddies' and check in monthly.

A twice-a-year reflection is definitely a good idea. Thanks for the reminder.

I always come away from conferences with mixed feelings -- overwhelmed at how many of "us" are out there, but rejuvenated and inspired by everyone's energy to make it work.

Savanna Kougar said...

Hi Terry, what did you enjoy most about the RWA National?

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Mai--Thanks! I find resolutions don't work as well as clearly reachable goals.

Sav--writing it out doesn't work for everyone. My brother has them but more in his head and he still works toward them. So different strokes for different folks! Hope your secret project works out! :)

Terry--that's a great point (having a goal buddy) because that's how my sister and I keep on track--we check in and ask how close we are or if we've done some of the baby steps to hitting a major goal. My sister has been instrumental in my writing career. :)

Terry Odell said...

Hi, Savannah. Liked too much to single out a 'best', although the Daphne award ceremony was cool. There were some great workshops -- one on male vs. female brains was very useful, both for writing and living with a guy.

Savanna Kougar said...

Anitra, thanks. So far so good on the project, about 15,000 words.

Terry, that's so cool, especially about the male vs female brain workshop. And congrats again on your TRS 5 Heart sweetheart award.