Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Promise Of Spring

Photobucket
Springtime always fills me with enthusiasm. My creative energies flow and new stories bubble through my mind vying for prominence. In the UK, spring can last a long time. The days lengthen with lighter evenings, and warmer weather promises summer around the corner. The energy at this time of year, when the trees are bright with pink and white blossom and lush with fresh leaves, is ripe with promise. Anything seems possible.

This is the time of year when fairies emerge from their winter retreats to catch the sun and play among the thick foliage, hidden from human eyes. (You’d better believe it!)

Spring has traditionally been celebrated as a time of birth and renewal. Many folk tales and myths celebrate entities such as the Green Man who embody rebirth, new growth, fertility, and all kinds of things that make my blood buzz with story possibilities. The spirit of nature emerging from his winter hibernation with flowing hair, lean muscles and an appetite honed by abstinence, eager to demonstrate he’s the god of fertility.

Okay, give me a moment…ahem.

Fall, or autumn as we call it in the UK, has a fascination of a different kind. The cycle of death and renewal once again dips toward the barren period of winter when nature retreats into itself and the nights draw in. Long cosy evenings before a roaring log fire, wood smoke, shadowy trysts. Death itself is endlessly intriguing and the subject of speculation through the ages. As the herald of winter, fall promises darkness and all that lives in the dark, vampires, demons, the wicked desires of the night.

I admit, there is something seductive about fall, but I’m still a spring person. Which season fires your imagination and why?

7 comments:

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Beautiful post, Helen.

I think I like autumn the best since my neighborhood has a lot of trees that change colors. Also I can finally stop mowing the lawn. :)

Lexie O'Neill said...

Helen,
Lovely picture! Is the bush in your yard?
I'm a summer person, even though I hide from the sun most of the time (pale, freckling skin). It's because I'm a teacher and summer still represents freedom to me! I love it when my kids are off from school and we can hang out, play games, and, my favorite, swim!
It's hitting the 90s here in the South, maybe I'll swim tonight...
Lexie

Savanna Kougar said...

Oh Helen, what a beautiful post. I'm mostly a spring person. The breezes feel delicious, the sun warm yet not boiling. The little birdies are flitting about. Nature is busy. Growing. Thriving. My doggies run and play, sniff the banquet of smells and lay in the sun.
However, I have to say I love the other seasons for different reasons, as you've already mentioned.
Your lean gorgeous man of spring...my goodness, I never thought of it that way. But..ahem..you're right! Fantasy time.

Mel Hiers said...

Hiya, Helen! What a great post!

I'm a spring girl, myself. I grew up in the Midwest where the season was nice and long. Southern springs are shorter, but I have the luxury of working in a building that sits in the middle of a park. There are blooming trees everywhere!

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Oh, and I do like winter because with a covering of snow, all yards are equal! :)

Seriously though I think I find energy in the slumber of fall and winter. I don't know why. The neighborhood gets quiet and I can actually think so maybe that's why I write more at those times than others. In spring and summer I'm doing the gardening, rafting, hiking, etc.

Savanna Kougar said...

Anitra, I know what you mean. Before all my stupid health problems, I used to do most of my writing during winter and on rainy days -- because I was outside gardening and taking care of a couple of acres. I am so, so! glad I don't have to mow here. Not that I minded mowing so much. But one six inch blade of grass could get you into code trouble. No! zoning of any kind! where I am now, and it's an acreage surrounded by nice clean cows. And the neighbors keep their pastures healthy, not over-run and eaten down. Knock on wood, it will remain un-zoned.

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

LOL, Sav, but I know what you mean. My father's property in Moab is huge and part of it is untouched with the natural flora/fauna. Part of it hosts an organic garden (run by my step-brother and his wife) that feeds many in the community and supplies many restaurants.

In the spring and summer they focus on the garden and so do I. (er, not their garden but mine!) It takes a lot of time but it's worth it. In the fall and winter the garden sleeps so we have more time for inside activities.

I think it's interesting how Lex likes summer for the freedom from school so that's probably when she writes more where you and I find more time in the fall and winter.

So, like Helen said, the seasons do have an impact.