Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Magic or Murder by Edit...

Hi everyone, what is the magic or murder of editing my manuscript for its release?
The magical part is the usual for any author, the opportunity to improve my novel in spell-binding and more meaningful ways, which will hopefully resonate with the readers. In my case, it seems my novel is dense with dialogue and a bit short on narration. No problem, actually, except for the tire-burning like fumes emerging from my brain, now. And, of course, the looming deadline.
Nope, no problem...except...I want it perfect! I tell you! Perfect! I shout toward the heavens, while wishing lightning strikes of brilliant inspiration will light me up like a Christmas Tree in Times Square. Yes...all the Christmas promo-ing on the chat loops is getting to me, already...argh!
Okay, that kind of perfection won’t happen, realistically. So, what can I hope to achieve? Only, my very best effort, and the reward of having another chance to pen my story more powerfully by using the skills I’ve learned, thus far. Yes, instead of the flame-ethereal sunset on the far horizon, I can now expand Kalypso and Zryphus’ love story to the panoramic vista of the land and sky...which feels mighty darn good.
What is the murder part? When I’m stuck on a freakin’ word. Good grief, my shoulders turn into rocks, and my eyes threaten to spin out of control. Another murderous part of editing, is when I’m just darn stuck, so stuck I feel like I’m madly spinning my wheels in the mud, and it’s flying splat! splat! all over the windows...like I’ve actually done far too many times in my life.
But, guess what? The real magical joy of editing ~ I have a great excuse to spend time in Gardenia, New Atlantis with my heroine and hero, which is why I wrote story in the first place.
***


An exclusive first, Title Magicians ~ the preview of a new narrative section added to Murder by Hair Spray in Gardenia, New Atlantis ~

~~~
Entranced, her spirit soaring with new hope, she’d watched the antediluvian lands emerge from the hurricane-whipped ocean, while hidden in the shadow of a New York City tenement building. Despite the last days of the Conflicts, everyone who could, had paused and stared up at one of the mammoth plasma screens, used for propaganda and mind control.
The whispers of what occurred, had turned to wildfire, and couldn’t be stopped.
Atlantis had risen again.
While she watched, the ground beneath her feet had shuddered, as if the planet was a giant dog shaking off fleas. To prove it was not another shower of buster bombs shaking the remaining cities on the East Coast, the three-day miracle had been shown as updates, at first.
On the third day, the full land of Atlantis had roared from the seas like Poseidon seeking his former empire. From the islands of Cuba, north to Savannah, Georgia, the antediluvian land shone beneath the breaking sun as a new Atlantis.
At the first glimpse of sun rays touching one peak, and while leviathan waves crashed, spewing enormous sprays of mist, the shudders of destiny had stormed through Kalypso, with all the strength of the spinning rainstorm that still raged over most of the renewed land.
Before any other groups dared to explore, she and her militia, and several other friendly rebel militias, had colonized, agreeing to begin a new country, based on their shared ideals.
~~~

MURDER BY HAIR SPRAY IN GARDENIA, NEW ATLANTIS ~ 2051 mystery-suspense futuristic ~ coming from Siren-BookStrand ~

Savanna

Savanna Kougar ~ Run on the Wild Side of Romance ~
http://savannakougar.com ~

REMEMBER...vote for your fave American Title V entry online at Romantic Times!

3 comments:

Savanna Kougar said...

Greetings to anyone who comments.

Evonne Wareham said...

It's quiet round here at the moment. Everyone busy, busy, busy.

Savanna Kougar said...

It is quiet. If you want to promote American Title on the next date, please do. I'll fill in where I can. But I'm deep, deep!!! in edits.